On-Campus Employment

Many campus jobs are available to students registered for 12 or more credit hours and pay the Nebraska minimum wage of $12 per hour for 2024. Campus earnings can be applied to the student account if the student signs an Earnings Withholding Authorization form. Some students incur income tax withholdings.

Visit the Union's Student Success Center to learn more about getting more than a job (discover your calling!) or click here for current student employment openings.

School year earnings estimate*



Summer earnings estimate

Pay per hourHoursEarnings

* Amounts are based on $12/hour over 16 weeks per semester. Estimates do not include any cash withdrawls, nor do they account for vacation days during the school year when students could work more hours or travel. 

Other incentives may apply to summer work. Learn more in the Student Earnings FAQ

Benefits of working on campus

  • Savings in the cost of gasoline to travel to an off-campus job. This savings could easily equate to 40¢ to 80¢ per hour.
  • Social Security tax savings. Law allows a student working on campus to be exempt from Social Security taxes.
  • Time lost in traveling to and from an off-campus job. If a student takes about 30 minutes to travel to and from an off-campus job, they would need to earn about 90¢ per hour more at their off-campus job than if they worked on campus. This illustration is based on a 4-hour work schedule.
  • Flexibility. Most students have much more flexibility in managing a work schedule with an on-campus job as compared to working off campus.
  • Cash withdrawals. Students can get cash for their work, based on a satisfactory financial plan.
  • Though we strongly urge students to apply their work earnings to their student account, it is possible to obtain all or a portion of their earnings if they have arranged for a satisfactory financial plan.

Federal College Work Study Program (FCWSP)

This program is subsidized by the Federal Government and provides part-time work through the various departments on campus and through public or private non-profit organizations off campus for qualifying students. In order to qualify, students must demonstrate financial need for the earnings from part-time employment. Under the United States Office of Education guidelines, priority must be given to the students having the greatest financial need. If you work under the (FCWSP) all of the wages earned are not counted toward your future eligibility for financial aid. This differs from a job off campus in a supermarket, gas station, etc. All the wages earned from those jobs must be reported on the financial aid application and all are used to determine your eligibility for financial aid for the following year. If you have any questions regarding this program see your Student Financial Advisor.